Apple‘s AirTag makes tracking misplaced items a breeze within Bluetooth range, thanks to Precision Finding. However, what do you do when your AirTag is out of Bluetooth range? In such a situation, you need to put your AirTag in Lost Mode, using the Find My app on your iPhone to help locate your lost belongings.
The Find My on iPhone is a vast network of Apple devices that use Bluetooth technology to help locate lost items or devices nearby. When it finds a missing device, it anonymously reports its approximate location to the owner, ensuring your privacy is maintained.
If you’ve lost your AirTag, follow these steps to activate Lost Mode.
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the Items tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the AirTag you want to put in Lost Mode.
- Swipe up on the card to reveal the Lost Mode option, then tap Enable beneath Lost Mode.
- Read the instructions and tap Continue.
- Enter your phone number and tap Next in the top right corner of the screen.
- Turn on the switch next to Notify When Found. You can also customise the lost message that will appear when someone finds your AirTag.
- Note that you can only customise the message and activate Notify When Found if the device tracker is out of range. Finally, tap Activate to confirm and enable Lost Mode for your AirTag.
What happens when your AirTag is marked as lost?
The Find My app helps you activate Lost Mode for your AirTag. You can also add a phone number and a message for when someone finds it. If you’re close to your AirTag, you can receive an alert using the “Notify When Found” option.
When your AirTag is marked as lost, anyone who finds it can see your contact details. They just need to bring the AirTag near an iPhone or an NFC-enabled Android phone. This will show a website with your phone number and your lost message. You might also see the location through someone else’s device.
What if there are no Apple devices nearby?
The Find My on iPhone is big, but not everyone uses Apple. If your AirTag is out of range with no Apple devices nearby, it will only show where it was last seen on the map. You’ll need someone with an NFC-enabled Android or iPhone to find and return it to you.
If someone finds your AirTag, they can use an NFC-capable iPhone or Android device to get an alert. This alert leads them to a website with your lost message and phone number. You might see your AirTag’s location on someone else’s iPhone through Find My.
This is how you activate Lost Mode on your AirTag and leverage the Find My on iPhone to locate your lost item tracker. With this straightforward feature available on all AirTag-compatible devices, you can easily find your lost AirTag.
end of article